Friday, July 16, 2010

Bargain Grocery Shopping

I have always been a fan of bargain grocery shopping, however since having Kora I haven't been able to tote her around to four or five places in search for the best deals. So I have been sticking to my all time favorite place for a one stop shop: WALMART. But I knew this month we were going to be having some extra expenses since Kora is getting tubes put in her ears next week, so I thought I really need to save every penny I could. I LOVE having a menu 1st before i plan what I need so that I only spend money on needed items instead of junk that will be stored in my pantry for a month. So I planned my menu for two weeks and made a list and decided for some reason, today was the day to try to take Kora with me shopping, so off we went to 4 different grocery stores getting some great sales!! Before I show you what I got from each store I thought I would share my two week menu to give you idea of why I bought the items I did.


Menu: Saturday to Saturday 2 weeks

Day 1- Feta Fish and Grilled Squash
Day 2- Chicken Grape Kabobs with Corn on the Grill and Black Bean Mango Salsa (friends over)
Day 3- Chicken Pineapple quesadilla's
Day 4- Fish Tacos
Day 5- Leftovers (church night)- take dessert butterscotch cookies
Day 6- Orange Chicken with Salad
Day 7- Fajitas
Day 8- Pineapple, Bell Pepper and Chicken Kabobs
Day 9- Chicken Salad and crackers
Day10- Fish Won tons and Grilled Corn
Day 11- Leftovers (church night)- take dessert sheet cake
Day 12- Shredded Chicken Panini's with Chips
Day 13- Grilled Shrimp and Salad
Day 14- Lemon Chicken Chinese

1st stop: United
SALE: Buy bacon and peanut butter and get tomatoes, lettuce, jelly and bread free!! Banana's .54 a pound and 4 graduate meals for $5.


2nd Stop: $1 Tree- favorite find was course black pepper with grinder for ONE DOLLAR.

3rd Stop: Panhandle Salvage
SALES: bell pepper 3 for $1. Cereal 3 for $4. (not a variety) Baby food .49 cents each!!! Naked drinks 2 for $1. Butterscotch chips for $1. LOVE THIS PLACE!!!


4th Stop: Walmart
SALES: yogurt 2 for $5. Bag Shrimp $5.


THE TOTALS: The menu is for two weeks, but I bought things I needed that will last me for a month...organic milk last 1 month, Crisco, pepper, toilet paper, butter, cheese, sandwich meat, dishwasher tabs and liquid plumber. So all in all when I go back in two weeks I won't need to spend this much!!




I must say I had a fun day and Kora was a trooper, she had plenty of snacks to help keep her busy!! I also wanted to post my favorite recipe: Black Bean and Mango Salsa
1 can black beans
1 mango chopped
a bell pepper chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
4 green onions chopped
a handful of chopped cilantro
1/4 c. zesty Italian dressing
1Tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp hot sauce (Tabasco)
PITA CHIPS TO DIP
Mix first 6 ingredients in a bowl and then in another bowl mix the dressing and fold into the other 6 ingredients.


No comments:

Post a Comment